10 beautiful ornamental plants but toxic to children
In seeds, flowers and leaves of castor, lilies, money needles, string of pearls ... contain many poisons, children who eat it will have nausea, convulsions, even death.
Dr. Huynh Tan Vu, Head of the Day Treatment Unit of Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital, Campus 3, said that some plant species are not safe, which can cause injury or poisoning to children. Supervision of children is the best way to avoid danger in the garden or any other place. In living spaces, avoid planting poisonous and dangerous plants. Fence or remove any suspect plants until the child is old enough to learn not to eat unfamiliar plants, usually when he's about three years old.
Here are the recommendations of Dr. Vu about 10 toxic ornamental plants that can cause poisoning for children.
This is a weed, the seeds, flowers and leaves of the plant are poisonous. If a child chews and swallows a few seeds, it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain.
Every part of this shrub, including the seeds, is poisonous. Symptoms of poisoning include dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, dilated pupils, and coma leading to death.
The jade plant has beautiful purple flowers and is also a popular ornamental plant. If children eat parts of the plant it can cause nausea or vomiting, drowsiness, convulsions, heart palpitations, fever; in some cases can be fatal.
The jade plant has purple flowers. Image. Yhome
Lilies contain the hallucinogen scopolamine. Just one drop of poison extracted from lily scopolamine, the victim can experience memory loss and temporary loss of consciousness. In South America this plant is used medicinally or to create hallucinogens in religious ceremonies. Just ingesting small amounts of scopolamine can cause poisoning.
"You should not arbitrarily pick any part of the lily plant to make a drink. When you are poisoned, you may feel dry mouth, difficulty swallowing, reduced secretions in the bronchi, dilated pupils, severe can be severe. confused, paranoid, excitable," said the doctor.
The entire stem of anthurium contains toxins calcium oxalate and asparagine. Normally these substances do not affect us at all. However, if you have small children or pets at home, you need to be careful when planting, because eating any part of the plant will also cause burns to the throat, stomach and intestines. If crushed leaves or flowers stick to the skin, it will easily create a rash and blisters.
In the stem and leaves contain calcium oxalate, causing burning, burning tongue, throat if children eat. More severe will cause inflammation, suffocation and stomach bleeding. The sap on the eyes also adversely affects vision.
Money tree is a popular ornamental plant, but it is toxic if eaten by children. Image. 2dep
Field corn (Jatropha podagrica) is also known as ten thousand spirits, mountain lotus, hybrid oil with tubers. Field corn plants contain curcumin in the stem, tubers, leaves and especially seeds. This substance can cause burning in the throat, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea. Severe poisoning will cause gastrointestinal bleeding, cardiovascular disorders, central nervous system depression.
Ten Thousand Youths
Like other plants, all parts of the perennial plant are poisonous. Therefore, care must be taken when touching, moving or taking care of this ornamental plant. Pus causes itching and if splashed into the eyes is very irritating; If you eat it, your lips will be numb, your tongue will be red, you will have difficulty speaking, your throat will be itchy, you will be sore, you will be vomiting... If you get infected with the mondox pus, you should not scratch it, but heat (warm) the affected area to heal. . If pus gets into your mouth or eyes, rinse your mouth, rinse your eyes with warm water, and then warm up with a hair dryer.
Most cases of poisoning are children or pets. These symptoms are usually mild and can be treated with pain relievers, antihistamines, or activated charcoal.
Safflower (Zisedeschia aethiopica)
All parts of the plant can cause irritation and pain in the mouth when chewed.
Types of cactus plants
The spines of the broad bones can injure a child when running, jumping or bumping.
The color of peppers can attract children, when children bite chili peppers, it can be spicy and burn their mouth, if touching the fruit and then rubbing their eyes, it will cause discomfort, parents need to pay attention.