The blog shares and guides knowledge about cultivation, trees, flowers, ... especially ORCHIDS

9 poisonous plants that should not be grown indoors

Fire lilies, oleanders, lilies are extremely poisonous plants that can be fatal to humans and animals, and should not be grown indoors.

Dr. Huynh Tan Vu (Head of Day Treatment Unit of Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital, Campus 3, Lecturer of Traditional Medicine Department, University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Ho Chi Minh City) shared that growing ornamental plants around the house helps to Beautiful, air-purifying and relaxing, however, it is also important to note that some plants are poisonous. If the family has small children, easy-to-eat pets, these plants should not be planted.

"There are species of plants that are toxic when ingested, some species that only need to touch the plastic part will cause severe irritation of the skin or mucous membranes, causing itching, redness, swelling, burning, burns..., the plastic splashes in the eyes will be very dangerous. dangerous," noted Dr. Vu.

Fire lilies

Dr. Vu said fire lily (also known as the sweet, sweet plant, lantern lily, fire lily, tiger's claw flower), ... belongs to the dog bait family, the poisonous garlic family. All components of the plant contain poisons that can kill people and animals. Especially, the root part of the seedling with other members of the dog bait family contains a lot of toxic substances colchicine, alkaloid gloriocine.

"Just two hours after being poisoned, the victim showed signs of nausea, vomiting, numbness and tingling around the mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, leading to dehydration. Progression in the body will cause rhabdomyolysis, intestinal obstruction, respiratory failure, hypotension, blood clotting disorders, hematuria, convulsions, coma and polyneuropathy," noted Dr.

For female victims, the poison of this flower also causes skin peeling and vaginal bleeding. In fact, there have been cases of eating squishy tubers and hair loss leading to complete baldness, even hair loss on the body. In Nigeria poison from the fire lily is used to impregnated arrows. While in India, the tubers of this plant are placed on windowsills to keep poisonous snakes away from residential areas.

Fire lilies (sweet) are beautiful, but poisonous, and can be harmful to people. Photo: scienceinfo


This plant has the scientific name Nerium oleander L of the oleander family (Apocynaceae). The whole oleander has a very bitter and toxic opaque resin, consisting of hydrocyanic acid and toxic glucosides such as oleandrin, neriin, and neriantin.

Ancient medicine has recognized oleander to be very poisonous. Cows and horses that eat some fresh oleander leaves have been poisoned. People who eat animals that die from oleander leaves are also poisoned. Through testing, people who drank water with oleander leaves fell in or water soaked oleander roots also encountered this phenomenon. On the island of Corsica, France, there was a case of poisoning due to eating grilled skewers with oleander branches and drinking water from oleander cork bottles.

The symptoms of oleander poisoning are irritability, extremities, nausea, dizziness with small doses; bloody diarrhea, respiratory disorders, vomiting, convulsions of limbs, arrhythmia, weak small pulse leading to coma and death if hit in high doses.

"Therefore, do not plant oleanders near water sources such as wells, ponds, water tanks; do not tie or release livestock under oleander trees; do not let small children play with oleander flowers because it is easy for children to put flowers in their mouths; no Use oleander leaves to treat skin diseases in any form," advised the doctor.

Although it cannot be used directly, oleander leaves are medicinal herbs. This leaf is used as a raw material for extracting oleandrin, which is an oral medicine indicated for the treatment of heart failure, mitral regurgitation, tachycardia, heart diseases with edema, and decreased urine output.


Lilies have the scientific name Brumansia Suaveolens (Wild), belonging to the Solanaceae family. "The lily contains the hallucinogen Scopolamine. Just drinking a single drop of poison extracted from scopolamine can cause memory loss and temporary loss of consciousness," said Dr. Vu.

Poison lilies come in different colors red, orange, yellow, and white. This plant is used to make medicines with analgesic, motion sickness, pre-anesthesia, asthma treatment... It is classified as highly toxic, so it is only used to make medicines with high toxicity. a very small amount, in milligrams.

"Just ingesting a small amount of scopolamine can cause poisoning. So we should not arbitrarily pick any part of the lily plant to sharpen it into a drink. When poisoned, mildly dry mouth feels dry. , difficulty swallowing, decreased secretion of bronchial secretions, dilated pupils, severe confusion, paranoia, excitability", the doctor noted.

This flower in Da Lat is grown a lot, but you should not approach, touch or inhale this pollen.

Some plant species should be considered according to family conditions (affecting children, pets, etc.), including:

Three-sided cactus

The three-sided cactus is poisonous (especially the white resin found throughout the plant). This is mentioned in many medical works in our country such as "Medical plants and herbs in Vietnam", "Medicinal plants and animals in Vietnam"...

According to Dr. Vu, the three-sided cactus is a medicine with many effects such as bleach, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory ... but this type is only used externally and according to indications. Medical works emphasize that inexperienced people should not use this plant.

"Even when used externally, the resin contained in the three-sided cactus can also cause irritation, damage the skin mucosa (for the case of thin skin, scratched skin...) and cause burning. , blistering, red ... If unfortunately to fall into the eye, the sap can also cause blindness," emphasized the doctor.

Eight fairy cactus

Bat Tien cactus, also known as the bowl of fairy flowers, crown of thorns. Euphorbia milii is a species of flowering plant in the family Euphorbiaceae, native to Madagascar.

The tree has many species, colors (green, brown red, purple, ...) have latex and thorns chitly on the trunk. It is these sharp spikes that can pierce your hands and cause scratches if you are not careful.

"The latex of the tree will cause burns to the hands when in contact. Planters need to wear gloves carefully and wash their hands if accidentally touched. Especially families with young children should avoid planting this tree," the doctor said. Vu recommends.

Hong Mon

The whole stem of anthurium contains toxins Calcium oxalate and Asparagine. If normal, then these substances do not affect us. However, if you have small children or pets in the house, you should be careful when planting because if they eat any part of the plant, it will cause burning of the throat, stomach and intestines. If crushed leaves or flowers stick to the skin, it will easily create a rash and blisters.

Houses with small children or pets should be cautious when growing anthuriums. Photo: G reenbreath


In the stem and leaves contain calcium oxalate, causing burning, burning tongue, throat if ingested. More severe will cause inflammation, suffocation and stomach bleeding. The sap on the eyes also adversely affects vision.


Ngo Dong (Jatropha podagrica) is also known as Van Linh, Sen Nui, Dau Lai with tubers. Ngo Dong plant contains Curcin substance in stem, tubers, leaves and especially seeds. This substance can cause burning in the throat, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea. Severe poisoning will cause gastrointestinal bleeding, cardiovascular disorders, central nervous system depression.

Ten Thousand Youths

Also known as the subject of immortality with the scientific name Dieffenbachia seguine. Like other aphid plants, all parts of the millennium are poisonous. Therefore, care must be taken when touching, moving or taking care of this ornamental plant.

Tree latex causes itching, if splashed into the eyes will cause eye irritation; If you eat it, your lips will be numb, your tongue will be red, you will have difficulty speaking, your throat will be itchy, you will be sore, you will be vomiting.... If you get infected with the latex of mondox, you should not scratch it, but heat (warm) the affected area. from. If pus gets into your mouth or eyes, rinse your mouth, rinse your eyes with warm water, and then warm up with a hair dryer. Most cases of poisoning are children or pets.

These symptoms are usually mild and can be treated with pain relievers, antihistamines, or activated charcoal. People infected with this plant are not to the point of needing to rinse the digestive tract like other types of poisoning and can heal on their own without any special treatment.

Growers need to know how to protect themselves if they want to take care of these poisonous plants indoors. "When pruning ornamental plants, you need to use your own tools, because if you forget to wash them or don't wash them clean, then use them for cooking, you will accidentally introduce toxins into people. Use protective equipment when gardening like wear gloves, wear eye protection glasses, face protection goggles, wear boots....", the doctor advised.

Stemming from passion, perseverance and hard work, after 23 years of research and research on orchid growing techniques, I have accumulated a lot of experience in propagating and cultivating forest orchids effectively.