The blog shares and guides knowledge about cultivation, trees, flowers, ... especially ORCHIDS

Poisonous plants and flowers should be avoided indoors

Swallow flowers, daffodils, perennials, oleanders, hydrangeas are poisonous plants, should not be grown indoors, dangerous to health.

On February 13, Doctor, Doctor Ngo Quang Hai, former Deputy Director of the Center for Training and Directing, Central Hospital of Acupuncture, who has had many years of research on the pharmacology of plants, said: Know that some houseplants and plants can be toxic.

In which, the flower of the bird's nest, which is bought and planted by many people in the North or planted indoors in the spring, contains diterpenois alkaloids, including methyllycaconitine - very toxic. In some countries like India, people use the seeds of the bird's nest as an insecticide. The alkaloid delphinine in the bird's nest causes vomiting (if eaten in small amounts), or can lead to death if mistakenly eaten in large quantities.

General practitioner Bui Dac Sang, Academy of Science and Technology, also many years of research on plants, said that the main toxic substance in the bird's nest flower is the alkaloid diterpenois. This substance affects the digestive system, when entering the body in large quantities can cause severe poisoning, even life-threatening.

All types of canary flowers as well as parts of it are poisonous, of which the most toxic part is the shoots that grow in the spring. Plants become less toxic as they mature the next time. An amount of 2 mg of alkaloids can be fatal in adults. Children can develop severe dermatitis when they touch the flowers, or a toxic reaction if they eat them.

Dogs and cats can also be poisoned very quickly when they ingest parts of the bird's nest. Signs are vomiting, diarrhea, burning lips, throat, muscle weakness, slow pulse, respiratory failure, convulsions.

Bright Expert recommends that the best way to prevent children or pets from ingesting flowers is to not plant or plant them indoors.

Larkspur. Photo: Character provided

In addition to the bird's nest, a number of plants and flowers grown indoors are toxic and need to be taken into account, as follows:


Hydrangeas are beautiful and meaningful flowers. One of the meanings of flowers is to express true affection and understanding, symbolizing the eternity of love and coming from the heart. However, the leaves and roots of the plant have hydragin-cyanogenic glycosides, which when ingested, can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and shortness of breath.


All parts of the plant are toxic andromedotoxin and arbutin glucoside. People who are poisoned by this plant often have symptoms of nausea, drooling, vomiting, lethargy, dizziness, shortness of breath, and loss of balance. An amount of 100 to 225 grams of rhododendron leaves is enough to cause severe poisoning in children.


This type of flower is often decorated in the house because it looks quite beautiful, but contains many very toxic alkaloids. When eating large amounts, patients will have symptoms such as dizziness, vomiting, lethargy or convulsions, diarrhea. In particular, narcissus roots also contain about 0.06% narcissin - a poison that changes with the age of the plant.

"If eaten before the plant flowers, it will cause dilated pupils, dry saliva, heart palpitations. But after the plants flower, it causes symptoms of salivation, sweating, nausea, diarrhea." Doctor Hai said.

Daffodils contain poison, should not be decorated in the house. Photo: Dengarden


The whole body of oleander contains extremely toxic substances called oleandrin, neriin. People can be poisoned by touching the tree or swallowing it. Mild signs are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmia; Severe symptoms are loss of body control, coma. If not treated promptly, it can lead to death.

In addition, drying or cooking does not reduce the toxicity of this plant. Do not plant oleander near water sources (eating wells, water tanks...) because falling leaves and flowers can cause water poisoning. In the world, there have been many cases of pediatric poisoning caused by oleander flower latex.

Tree of Perennial Youth

The plant is not beneficial when placed in the house. The calcium oxalate contained in the plant, if it comes in contact with sensitive skin, will cause irritation, causing you to have a burning, swelling sensation. If this substance is swallowed into the body, it will cause poisoning with many symptoms such as dizziness, dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea.

Bird of Heaven

The flowers and seeds of the plant contain substances that cause intestinal toxicity. Contact or eating flowers and seeds will cause nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, burning tongue and if you stand for a long time, smell the flowers will cause discomfort.

Ornamental sport

All parts of the plant contain toxins calcium oxalate and asparagine, when ingested will lead to the risk of burns, itching of the mouth and intestinal mucosa.

Ornamental tree. Photo: Dengarden


The plant contains gucosides - substances that are very harmful to the body. If people accidentally eat it, it will cause fatigue, diarrhea, even respiratory effects, making it difficult to breathe, difficult to regulate heart rate.

Stemming from passion, perseverance and hard work, after 23 years of research and research on orchid growing techniques, I have accumulated a lot of experience in propagating and cultivating forest orchids effectively.